Open call for two residencies in Paris in 2024!
The Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava announces an open call for two artistic or research stays that will take place in 2024 at the Cité internationale des arts in Paris. The call is intended for doctoral students and graduates of the AFAD in various fields - fine and applied arts, architecture, design or restoration, as well as theoretical disciplines. The deadline for applications is 10/22/2023.
The Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava is pleased to announce the 4th edition of its residency programme, in the framework of which two selected recipients will benefit from a 3-month research-based artist residency during the spring of 2024 at the Cité internationale des arts in Paris.
The aim of this residency programme is to support and encourage the professional integration of artists, enabling them to focus on their practice all the while building up their professional network. The programme is rooted in the life, activities and networks of the Cité internationale des arts and its 325 residents from all disciplines, generations, and nationalities. It also offers support through regular meetings with artists and cultural professionals.
The residency program includes:
- 3-month artistic or research stay;
- Group conversations with international artists and meetings with professionals of the local art scene, as well as visits of cultural sites;
- Possibility to take part in the Open Studios weekly program during which the general audience, professionals and artist residents are invited to visit the live-in studios of artists in residency and discover their work in progress,
- Possibility to work on specific practices in the technical spaces of the residency center, together with other artists;
- Presentation of the work and results of the residency at the exhibition in the Gallery Medium in Bratislava;
- A living grant of 850 euros/per month during each month of the residency at Cité internationale des arts, supported by AFAD and partners of the programme;
- Other fees and costs related to renting the studio are also covered by the AFAD;
- A live-in-studio on the Marais site of the Cité internationale des arts - Residents are accommodated in live-in-studios with a single furnished working and living space and Wi-Fi access.
- Residents may be accompanied by an adult and/or a child aged under 7, in which case the payment of an additional charge will be required. This supplement shall be paid by the recipients of the program.
Two optional 3-month periods are proposed in this call:
- January 3rd to March 28th of 2024;
- April 4th to June 27th of 2024.
There is a possibility to state preferred residency term. However, we cannot guarantee candidates that they will complete their residency on their preferred date. The selected date will not be a decisive factor in the selection of future residents.
Eligibility criteria and selection process:
This call for applications is addressed to AFAD doctoral students, as well as graduates of all ages and disciplines: artists, designers, architects and curators, as well as theorists of all ages, can apply for the open call.
Applicants are invited to send the following documents in English to the email address email@example.com by October 22, 2023 (included):
- Filled out application form (downloadable on the AFAD website);
- Resume (max. 4 pages);
- Portfolio including around a minimum of ten visuals with full captions (max. 5 - 10 pages), possibly with video links or audio files representative of the work, if applicable (.mp3, .avi);
- an intention note outlining the project that the candidate wishes to develop within the framework of the residency at Cité internationale des arts and in Paris, as well as the reasons why this residency is necessary and will enrich their career path from both an artistic and a professional point of view (max. 2 - 4 pages);
- Recommendation letter/s, not written by a person working at the AFAD;
- Artist statement (optional).
In addition to evaluating the applicants’ professional background, the members of the jury will pay particular attention to the project’s artistic quality, the arguments explaining the added value of doing a residency in Paris – in the framework offered by Cité internationale des arts, the work protocol envisaged, and to any contacts or partnerships that have already been established to develop the project and prepare the residency.
The selection procedure take place on the basis of submitted applications in two rounds. The first one takes place at the AFAD within a commission composed of members from the academy, as well as from other art institutions. The second round take place at the Cité internationale des arts in Paris.
Call for applications: until October 22, 2023 (included)
Results announcement: November 2023
- First residency: January 3rd to March 28th of 2024
- Second residency: April 4th to June 27th of 2024
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
More about the Cité internationale des arts in Paris:
The Cité internationale des arts is an artist residency centre that brings together artists and culture professionals in the heart of Paris to work on creative and research projects in all disciplines.
For periods of between two months and one year, the Cité internationale des arts provides them with a working environment that fosters creativity and allows them to meet other arts professionals. The Cité internationale des arts’ team provides residents with bespoke assistance and support throughout their stay.
The live-in studios at the Marais and Montmartre sites are a place where residents can live and create in the company of more than 300 artists and culture professionals of every generation, nationality and discipline. Working closely with its many partners, the Cité internationale des arts calls for candidates by theme and/or project throughout the year.
For more information about the Cité internationale des arts and its possibilities please check the website: https://www.citedesartsparis.net/ or download the leaflet here.
- Slovak Embassy in Paris
- Slovak Institute in Paris
- Cité internationale des arts Paris
- Tatra banka Foundation