Admissions – the doctoral studies
Conditions of acceptance and admissions procedure to the doctoral studies in the academic year 2020/2021 with the beginning of the study in the academic year 2021/2022
An applicant for a doctoral program at AFAD can become a student of the chosen study program only by succeeding in the admissions process. If the applicant has completed a master´s program i.e. second level study program, they can enrol in the admissions at AFAD following the required process and apply for one of the proposed dissertation topics.
An applicant for a topic in the study program of Fine Arts may enrol one year after completing their master´s program.
In case the admissions to AFAD are conducted prior to completing the master´s program, the applicant is admitted conditionally for the doctoral program. The final admission to study is conditioned by the successful completion of the second level study program. The applicant will submit a proof of completion of the second level study program within ten days after completing the second level study program yet no later than the date of enrolment for study i.e. in September 2021 they must prove that they have completed the first level of the study by submitting a verified copy of a master´s degree and diploma supplement.
All foreign applicants (with the exception of the Czech ones) must have a command of the Slovak language at the B1 level before starting their studies.
Foreign applicants, who have studied abroad, are admitted, only if they provide a decision on the recognition of the diploma issued abroad no later than the deadline for the enrolment (September 2021).
If the university issues diplomas after the enrolment date (after September) we do not recommend students that they submit an application, instead we recommend submitting it in the next academic year.
For more information check the following links:
In the period from March 29, 2021 to May 31, 2021 an applicant for a doctoral program at AFAD will fill out and sent an electronic application which will be posted on the AFAD web page.
After submitting the electronic application in the period from June 8, 2021 from 6.00 am to June 24, 2021 to 8.00 am the applicant shall insert a portfolio and further documents for admissions to doctoral programs on the web page: https://ulozisko.vsvu.sk/; username, password and instructions will be sent to the applicant´s email address stated in the application on June 7, 2021.
An applicant for a doctoral program at AFAD is allowed to submit an application for a maximum of two study programs applying for one of the proposed dissertation topics (choosing either full-time or external form of study if offered) in the chosen study program. During the admissions process the applicant can apply for dissertation topics which will be posted by the AFAD Rector no later than two months prior to the date for the submission of applications for a doctoral program.
The applicant may submit an application for a maximum of two following study programs:
- Fine Arts
- History and Theory of Art and Architecture
Electronic application can be found:
- for AFAD students in AIS (in the left in the offer – Applicant´s Applications)
- for students from other schools on the AFAD web page "Online application"
An applicant´s CV must be directly inserted in the electronic application
Use this email address firstname.lastname@example.org for sending the following attachments:
- A proof of payment of the fee for the admissions process (e.g. statement of payment from internet banking) – the fee must be paid no later than May 31, 2021, when paying it is necessary to state a variable symbol, specific symbol and as a Message or Additional data – NAME and SURNAME of the applicant, otherwise the payment will not be matched.
In the period between June 8, 2021 from 6 am to June 24, 2021to 8 am an applicant shall insert a portfolio (applicants for Fine Arts programs) and further documents for an admissions process for a doctoral program via web page: https://ulozisko.vsvu.sk/ in the PDF format max. up to 15 MB:
- CV and detailed account of artistic or publication activity and activities of artistic creation related to study programs.
- A brief proposal of the dissertation project, which has to be in accordance with the topic that the applicant has applied for.
- certificates of completed language exams (in case there are any)
- A copy of the second level study diploma. In case of an international diploma, the official translation into Slovak is required (with the exception of Czech schools)
- A copy of diploma supplement, or a transcript of records with calculated weighted study average which will be confirmed prior to the enrolment deadline by the Study Department of a particular university (applicants from other universities -not from AFAD) in case of a document issued abroad it must be accompanied with an official translation into Slovak no later than the enrolment date.
- international applicants, and applicants who studied abroad, will, in case of being admitted to AFAD, submit an official decision on the recognition of/diplomas/certificates issued internationally no later than the enrolment date
For more information check the following link:
A fee of € 40 is to be paid via bank transfer using the following:
- IBAN: SK42 8180 0000 0070 0007 2516
- SWIFT: SPSRSKBAXXX
- Variable symbol: 648 003
- Specific symbol: six-digit number starting with 21 and followed by a four-digit number consisting of the application filing number, before which zeroes are to be added.
- Example: application filing number is 345, so specific symbol will be 210345
- Additional information: applicant’s name and surname
- Account owner: Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava, Hviezdoslavo nám. 18, 81437 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
- Bank: ŠTÁTNA POKLADNICA (STATE TREASURY), Radlinského 32, 810 05 Bratislava, Slovakia
The admissions interview will be conducted from July 1 – July 2, 2021 between an applicant and admissions committee (either in person or online depending on the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic situation).
The admissions process is to test an applicant´s individual skills and preconditions necessary for meeting independently and creatively requirements of the doctoral programs at AFAD. The admissions interview for a doctoral program is carried out before the admissions committee which is appointed by the AFAD Rector for each study program individually. The committee´s decision is influenced not only by the applicant´s results in the completed master´s program (weighted study average in the study program) but mainly by the range and quality of artistic activity, publication activity as well as other activities related to the field of study (e.g. in the exhibition of students´ art works or results in competitions of student, scientific or scholar works etc.).
The admissions process of doctoral studies at AFAD includes an admissions interview on the basis of which the applicant´s individual skills and preconditions to meet requirements of doctoral studies at AFAD are to be tested.
Admissions interview consists of:
- the presentation of the artistic portfolio (relevant only for Fine Arts study programs, Fine Art, Design, Restoration, Architecture), presentation of the publication portfolio (relevant only for the study program History and Theory of Fine Arts and Architecture)
- the presentation of the project and the dissertation topic
- a discussion with an applicant
Each member of the admissions committee evaluates the portfolio and artistic activities related to the study programs, project on the dissertation topic, discussion with an applicant based on the sum of points from individual members of the committee. The results of the evaluation and the order of the applicants are submitted by the admissions committee to the Rector of AFAD who decides on the admission for the study program at AFAD. The applicant will receive the admissions decision in accordance with the law and AFAD regulations.
The admissions condition and the course of the admission procedure for doctoral studies are regulated in detail by the Internal Regulations on the Admissions Process at AFAD.
Information on doctoral programs is provided by the AFAD Study Department: