Admissions – the doctoral studies
Admissions Requirements and Course of the Admissions Process for Doctoral Programs starting in 2022/2023
- Who can submit an application for a doctoral program
- When to submit applications for a doctoral program
- Important dates and deadlines
- How to submit applications for a doctoral program
- Admissions date and interview
- Admissions process
- Doctoral dissertation topics
An applicant for a doctoral program at AFAD can become a student of the chosen study program only by succeeding in the admissions process. If the applicant has completed a master´s program i.e. second level study program, they can enrol in the admissions at AFAD following the required process and apply for one of the proposed dissertation topics.
An applicant for a topic in the study program of Fine Arts (specialization: Fine Arts, Design, Architecture and Art Conservation and Restoration) may enrol one year after completing their master´s program.
An applicant for a topic in the study program of History and Theory of Fine Arts and Architecture may enrol immediately after completing their master´s program.
In case the admissions to AFAD are conducted prior to completing the master´s program, the applicant is admitted conditionally for the doctoral program. The final admission to study is conditioned by the successful completion of the second level study program. The applicant will submit a proof of completion of the second level study program within ten days after completing the second level study program yet no later than the date of enrolment for study i.e. in September 2022 they must prove that they have completed the first level of the study by submitting a verified copy of a master´s degree and diploma supplement.
All foreign applicants (with the exception of the Czech ones) must have a command of the Slovak language at the B1 level before starting their studies.
Foreign applicants, who have studied abroad, are admitted, only if they provide a decision on the recognition of the diploma issued abroad no later than the deadline for the enrolment (September 2022).
If the university issues diplomas after the enrolment date (after September) we do not recommend students that they submit an application, instead we recommend submitting it in the next academic year.
Check the following links for more information:
In the period from April 7, 2022 to June 7, 2022 an applicant for a doctoral program at AFAD will fill out and sent an electronic application which will be posted on the AFAD web page.
After submitting the electronic application in the period from June 13, 2021 from 12:00 am to June 23, 2021 to 8.00 am the applicant shall insert a portfolio and further documents for admissions to doctoral programs on the web page:
- username, password and instructions will be sent to the applicant´s email address stated in the application on June 13, 2022 to 12:00 am.
- From April 7, 2022 – June 7, 2022 – application submission
- by 7. 6. 2022 – fee deadline
- from June 13, 2022 from 12:00 am. – June 23, 2022 to 8:00 am. – files must be inserted in the storage
- on June 29 – June 30, 2022 – interview between the applicant and the committee
An applicant for a doctoral program at AFAD is allowed to submit an application for a maximum of two study programs applying for one of the proposed dissertation topics (choosing either full-time or external form of study if offered) in the chosen study program. During the admissions process the applicant can apply for dissertation topics which will be posted by the AFAD Rector no later than two months prior to the date for the submission of applications for a doctoral program.
The applicant may submit an application for both of following study programs:
- Fine Arts specialization: Fine Arts, Design, Architecture and Art Conservation and Restoration)
- History and Theory of Fine Arts and Architecture
Electronic application can be found:
- for AFAD students in AIS (in the left in the offer –Applicant´s Applications)
- for students from other schools on the AFAD web page https://www.vsvu.sk/sk/prijimacie-pohovory/elektronicka-prihlaska/?v=LRJ8jJO2
- An applicant´s CV must be directly inserted in the electronic application
Use the following email address email@example.com for sending the following attachments:
- A proof of payment of the fee for the admissions process (e.g. statement of payment from internet banking) - the fee must be paid by June 7, 2022, when paying it is necessary to state a variable symbol, specific symbol and as a Message or Additional data – NAME and SURNAME of the applicant, otherwise the payment will not be matched.
In the period between June 13, 2022 from 12:00 am. – June 23, 2022 to 8:00 am an applicant shall insert a portfolio (applicants for Fine Arts programs) and further documents for an admissions process for a doctoral program via web page: https://ulozisko.vsvu.sk/ in the PDF format max. up to 15 MB:
- a CV and detailed account of artistic or publication activity and activities of artistic creation related to study programs.
- a brief proposal of the dissertation project, which has to be in accordance with the topic that the applicant has applied for.
- certificates of completed language exams (in case there are any)
- a copy of the second level study diploma. In case of an international diploma, the official translation into Slovak is required (with the exception of Czech schools)
- a copy of diploma supplement, or a transcript of records with calculated weighted study average which will be confirmed prior to the enrolment deadline by the Study Office of a particular university (applicants from other universities -not from AFAD) in case of a document issued abroad it must be accompanied with an official translation into Slovak no later than the enrolment date.
- foreign applicants, and applicants who studied abroad, will, in case of being admitted to AFAD, submit an official decision on the recognition of/diplomas/certificates issued internationally no later than the enrolment date
For more information check the following link:
Viac informácií: https://www.minedu.sk/23276-sk/akademicke-uznavanie-dokladov-o-vzdelani-a-stupna-vzdelania/
A fee of € 40 must be paid via bank transfer using the following:
- IBAN: SK42 8180 0000 0070 0007 2516
- SWIFT: SPSRSKBAXXX
- Variable symbol: 648 003
- Specific symbol: six-digit number starting with 22 and followed by a four-digit number consisting of the application filing number, before which zeroes must be added. Example: application filing number is 345, so specific symbol will be 220345
- Additional information: applicant’s name and surname
- Account owner: Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava, Hviezdoslavo nám. 18, 81437 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
- Bank: ŠTÁTNA POKLADNICA (STATE TREASURY), Radlinského 32, 810 05 Bratislava, Slovakia
Applicants from Ukraine are exempted from paying admissions fees.
The admissions interview will be conducted from June 29 – June 30, 2022 between an applicant and admissions committee (either in person or online for foreign applicants requesting it).
The admissions process is to test an applicant´s individual skills and preconditions necessary for meeting independently and creatively requirements of the doctoral programs at AFAD. The admissions interview for a doctoral program is carried out before the admissions committee which is appointed by the AFAD Rector for each study program individually. The committee´s decision is influenced by the applicant´s range and quality of their artistic activity, publication activity as well as other activities related to the field of study (e.g. results in the artistic, scientific and scholar competitions)
The admissions process of doctoral studies at AFAD includes an admissions interview, on the basis, of which the applicant´s individual skills and preconditions to meet requirements of doctoral studies at AFAD are examined.
Admissions interview consists of the following parts:
- a presentation of the artistic portfolio (relevant only for Fine Arts study programs, Fine Art, Design, Restoration, Architecture, Art Conservation and Restoration), or presentation of the publication portfolio (relevant for the study program History and Theory of Fine Arts and Architecture)
- a presentation of the project and dissertation topic
- a discussion with an applicant
Each member of the admissions committee evaluates the portfolio and artistic activities related to the study programs, project on the dissertation topic, discussion with an applicant based on the sum of points from individual members of the committee. The results of the evaluation and the order of the applicants are submitted by the admissions committee to the Rector of AFAD who decides on the admission for the study program at AFAD. The applicant will receive the admissions decision in accordance with the law and AFAD regulations.
The admissions condition and the course of the admissions procedure for doctoral studies are regulated in detail by the Internal Regulations on the Admissions Process at AFAD.
Information on doctoral programs is provided by the AFAD Study Department: