The Congress of Young Roma People
The Congress of Young Roma People the congress took place on April 8 - 10, 2022 in the University Library in Bratislava. Norbert Kuki, a student of the Intermedia Studio of the Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava, who was a member of the Commission for the Development of Open Culture and Sports Skills, also took part in this year.
The Congress of Young Roma People 2022 is an opportunity for young people who are actively involved in civic affairs in the policies of the marginalised Roma community. The aim of the congress is to give young people a voice and space so that they can express their ideas in public discourse, discuss topics that concern them, point out shortcomings in current policies and propose solutions to those policies.
Norbert Kuki, a student of the Intermedia Studio of the Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava, who was a member of the Commission for the Development of Open Culture and Sports Skills, also took part in this year. Together with other members, they formulated proposals for changes in public policies, which are formulated in the joint Declaration of Young Roma and Roma 2022. The created declaration aims to put the formulated proposals into practice.
The congress is organised by the Office of the Plenipotentiary of the Government of the Slovak Republic for Roma Communities in cooperation with the University Library Bratislava, Platform of Young Roma. The project partners are Adel Slovakia and the National Democratic Institute.
More information: romovia.vlada.gov.sk
Declaration of Young Roma People 2022
Commission for the Development of Open Culture and Sports Skills
- We ask Slovak directors, playwrights and producers not to support stereotypes about the Roma in their performances and to be sensitive when portraying the Roma in theater and film.
- We request the Fund for the Support of the Culture of National Minorities to establish the position of project consultant for the Roma national minority, which would assist in the process of project creation and problem solving. At the same time, we call on the fund to communicate more with Roma applicants.
- We request Slovak libraries, Theater Institute in Bratislava, Center for Arts Sciences SAS, v.v.i. and other state institutions of a similar nature to create a larger documentation base of Roma culture.
- We want to have a space in Slovak state institutions for Roma art, culture and sports. We call for primary, secondary and tertiary schools focusing on the humanities and social sciences to implement Roma history in the teaching process.
- We propose to make efforts for the establishment of the House of Roma Culture in Bratislava.
- We call on the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sports of the Slovak Republic to create an institution that would have the task of covering Roma athletes and would also help them by providing scholarships for the development of sports skills.
- We propose to the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sports of the Slovak Republic to create a program supporting the development of sports talent of young people and intercultural dialogue between the majority and Roma youth through sports.
- We are asking primary schools, sports clubs, community centers to increase awareness with a focus on sports in cooperation with successful Roma athletes.
- We want to warn Slovak sports centers and clubs that the rule "there is no discrimination in sport" applies.