In the frame of Erasmus+KA107 project I have spent five working days at the Academy of
Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava in December 2016 for the purpose of training. The main scope of my activities was in the International Office and I worked together with Vice-rector Nina de Gelder and Erasmus coordinators Veronika Selingerová and Zuzana Wallnerová.
Preliminary contacts with the Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava were established in 2006, ever since then the bilateral cooperation between Belgrade and Bratislava expanded, and in 2016 Erasmus cooperation activities were introduced. The main purpose of my mobility stay was to strengthen and advance the existing collaboration, and specifically to plan the organisation and implementation of the new Erasmus+ KA107 project.
Numerous activities carried out during my placement led to a greater level of integration in the hosting institution:
- Job shadowing and observation in the International Office, especially the handling of Erasmus+ mobility projects;
- Insight in the organisational structure of the International Office;
- Study visits to twelve departments and division of drawing of AFAD, where I had an opportunity to meet the teachers, discover similarities and differences between our schools, especially in curricula and teaching methods, which was crucial for a better understanding of the host institution and for the planning of high-quality exchange inmthe future;
- Meetings with vice-rectors and other management representatives aimed towards exploring potential areas of collaboration and strengthen existing contact with the different departments;
- Visit to Prieskum - AFAD’s semester exhibition of students‘ works - where I had an opportunity to see the great variety and considerable number of students’ works: at Drotárska St. an exhibition of Sculpture, Printmaking, New Media, Intermedia and Multimedia, Visual Communication, Photography, Ceramics, Conservation and Restoration, Textile and Fashion Design, Glass, Metal and Jewellery and at Hviezdoslavovo nám. an exhibition of Painting and Architecture. The exhibition gave me an excellent understanding of the outcomes of the artistic education at AFAD and chance to make comparisons with UAB;
- Visit to AFAD’s Gallery Medium at Hviezdoslavovo námestie opened new cooperation opportunities between AFAD and UAB as we agreed to start an exchange of art exhibitions as well, and discussed in detail a prospective exhibition by the UAB Printmaking Department, planed for Autumn 2017;
- Other activities developed and implemented in the host institution. Moreover, the host institution provided cultural benefits of my mobility as well. I had an opportunity to visit Danubiana museum - with its impressive location, architecture and collection of modern arts - then the Slovak National Gallery, Bratislava City Gallery, Museum of History in Bratislava Castle, as well as to discover Slovak medieval past in the Červený Kameň Castle in the Little Carpathians.
The activities carried out during my short stay in Bratislava gave me the opportunity to learn from shared experience and ideas, a transfer of knowledge and good practices and discover new ideas for my future work. My stay in Bratislava made me realise that my colleagues from AFAD face many same or similar challenges and discover how they overcome them.
My mobility experience at AFAD is more than positive. Expected results defined in my work plan were fully met. Reception and organisation were perfect and staff from the International Office very professional and helpful. So, taking all of the above, this visit was highly beneficial both for the partnership of AFAD and UAB and for my personal professional development.
Head of International Relations Office
University of Arts in Belgrade