Visual communication – Requirements for entrance examination
Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools
Requirements for home assignments – portfolio
Create and submit a portfolio of your own works. The applicant’s portfolio should correspond to the media range of studies at the study programme of Visual communication. It should, for example, contain: logotypes, visual identities, typography, posters, animation (submit only a link—a functional URL link—on which the animation is available online: youtube, vimeo...), if it is not public, please, provide also the password necessary to play the animation, packaging design, spatial applications (graphic design applied to space), graphic design of books, magazines and other printed matter, the applicant’s own authorial projects, photo documentation of drawings – portraits, still lifes... (maximum 3 pages).
Portfolio should contain also these four obligatory assignments:
- The visual identity of a place where I spend my Friday nights
- Street – house – tree – WORD. Text as an object spatial installation.
- Create lettering (study in detail what this term means in writing practice) for a hoodie with the name of the street of your high school.
- Create a video of maximum 60 secs in which you will introduce yourself. Upload it to youtube or vimeo and the link—a functional URL link to your video—insert to your portfolio. If the video is not public, provide also the password necessary to play it.
The parameters of the applicant’s electronic portfolio:
- A4 format horizontally
- A maximum extent of 30 pages
- Format .pdf, max. 20 MB (in resolution medium, screen or interactiv)
Form of the submission of works:
- After submitting the electronic application with annexes, the applicant uploads the digital version of his/her home assignments – his/her portfolio, together with all required works, between January 19, 2021 (6 AM) and January 25, 2021 (8 AM) via: https://obhajoby.vsvu.sk; access details and instructions will be sent on January 18, 2021 by e-mail to the addresses specified in the application.
- The digital portfolio and motivation letter must be included in one joint PDF format (maximum up to 20 MB) titled name_surname_study programme of visual communication. It is necessary to mark the individual works.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- the evaluation of home assignments – portfolio
- in person, with the participation of the applicant who advances to the 2nd round from the 1st round. The 2nd round of the admission procedure lasts two days.
- creative assignments at talent examinations can consist of the following media: portrait (drawing), logo, pictogram, poster, postage stamp, postcard, T-shirt, advertising item, comics/storytelling, typography, three-dimensional object and other. The given assignments are realized without the use of computer and other digital technologies.
- an exam focusing on the general secondary-school knowledge of history, literature, art history and the knowledge of contemporary art. If requested, it is possible for the applicants from abroad to take the exam in English language. However, if they are admitted to study at AFAD, their studies continue in Slovak language.
- the applicant undergoes an interview with the admission committee, where he/she demonstrates his/her knowledge in the field of culture, aesthetics, social events and current development in graphic design and fine arts.
Tools needed at the admission exam:
The applicant brings his/her favourite working tools and instruments, such as a drawing board in A2 size (it is obligatory for portrait drawing), rulers, stencils, pencils, charcoal sticks, pastels, ink, markers, paints and brushes, colour spray paints, material for stencils, paper sheets of different colours, surfaces and grammage, self-adhesive foils of different colours, a pair of scissors, cutters, glue, adhesive tapes and other tools according to one’s own choice.
- Art History.
- The History of Applied Arts and Design.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20.storočie. Bratislava, 2000.
- Kolesár, Z.: Nové kapitoly z dejín dizajnu, Slovenské centrum dizajnu, Bratislava, 2009
- LONGAUER, Ľubomír: Modernosť tradície – Úžitková grafika na Slovensku po roku 1918. Slovart.
- LONGAUER, Ľubomír, a kol.: Typografia a písmo na Slovensku. Začalo to Cyrilom a Metodom.
Books about design, architecture and fine arts from the following publishers
Phaidon, Taschen, Gestalten, Princetown Architectural Press, Laurence King Publishing, Slovart, Roto Vision...
Specialised and popular magazines (also archive numbers)
Designum, Typo, Font, Eye, Works that work, Dot Dot Dot, 2+3D, Print, Novum...
Trnava Poster Triennial, Design week Bratislava, The Biennial of Graphic Design Brno, The Venice Biennale of Architecture and Art...
www.vsvu.sk, www.scd.sk, https://edesignum.scd.sk, www.designby.sk, www.detepe.sk, www.designportal.cz, www.font.cz, www.designobserver.com ...
Orientation in periodical specialised press on contemporary art, architecture, applied arts and design, culture and politics