Textile – Requirements for entrance examination
Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools
Requirements for home assignments – portfolio
- the applicant submits 20 works
- a collection of the applicant’s paintings and drawings, designs for textile, studies from life, collages, creative art works; these works should contain an insight into the applicant’s drawing skills, sense of painting, his/her relationship to material and ability of the spatial perception of movement studies, studies from life
- designs of clothing and clothing collections in drawing, painting, collage or other combined techniques
- designs of textiles for clothing
- obligatory topic: INTERSECTION OF TWO WORLDS (good and evil /soft and hard/love and hate/...... , dimensions: approx. 30 x 30 x 30 cm, material: all types of paper, technique: different kinds of connecting, sewing, clicking together, adhesive tape, paper clips, collage..., photo documentation of the working process and final object, attach also a description of the idea and intention.
Form of the submission of works:
- After submitting the electronic application with annexes, the applicant uploads the digital version of his/her home assignments – his/her portfolio, together with the required work, between January 19, 2021 (6 AM) and January 25, 2021 (8 AM) via: https://obhajoby.vsvu.sk; access details and instructions will be sent on January 18, 2021 by e-mail to the addresses specified in the application.
- The digital portfolio and motivation letter must be included in one joint PDF format (maximum up to 10 MB) titled name_surname_study programme of textile. It is necessary to mark the individual works – topic, title.
- The applicant brings the original versions of his/her home assignments – his/her portfolio directly to the 2nd round of the admission procedure, including the obligatory assignment completed according to the given instructions. The applicant’s works should be documented in presentation portfolios.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- the evaluation of the digital portfolio and obligatory topic
- in person, with the participation of the applicant who advances to the 2nd round from the 1st round. The 2nd round of the admission procedure lasts two days.
- fabric designs in colour
- composition into a closed format
- three-dimensional object
- paper relief
- an exam focusing on the general secondary-school knowledge of history, literature, art history and the knowledge of contemporary art. If requested, it is possible for the applicants from abroad to take the exam in English language. However, if they are admitted to study at AFAD, their studies continue in Slovak language.
- the applicant undergoes an interview with the admission committee, where he/she demonstrates his/her knowledge in the field he/she wants to study; a discussion about home assignments is part of the interview. The applicant also explains the procedure of working on the actual assignment in the 2nd round, so that the committee can examine his/her communication skills.
Tools needed at the admission exam:
a drawing board in A2 size, drawing tools, pencils, erasers, charcoal sticks, tempera paints, pastels, watercolour paints, crayons, glue, a ruler, a pair of scissors, any material (paper sheets of different colours, textile or paper material – different types of paper for collages), pushpins, a cutter, paper clips, a stapler, a needle, thread, pins, adhesive tape, etc.
- Art History.
- The History of Applied Arts and Design.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20.storočie. Bratislava, 2000.
- Luxová, Viera: Československá tapiséria 1945-75, Bratislava, 1978.
- Móziová, Oľga, Bohatová, Anna: Dejiny odievania. Bratislava, 2007.
- Máchalová, Jana: Móda 20. století. Praha, 2003.
www.interiorzine.com, www.doba.sk/category/umenie, www.transitionandinfluenceccom.
Orientation in periodical specialised press on contemporary art, architecture, applied arts and design, culture and politics.