Requirements for entrance examination. Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools. The requirements are current for the admission procedure at Academic year 2023/2024.
Requirements for home assignments – portfolio
- The applicant presents himself/herself primarily via the originals of his/her own works and free creation in the medium of painting in the range from 20 to 30 works (any format and technique). The content of the applicant´s presented works and digital portfolio should not consist solely of study drawings and works created as secondary-art-school assignments. The applicant’s works should present his/her interest in the study programme of painting. Overlaps into other media are acceptable if they complement the applicant’s artistic thinking.
- Topic: "Motivation to the art of attention"
- 1. List the painting that you are most interested in and justify your choice.
- 2. Describe in detail the art exhibition that impressed you the most.
- Recommendation to develop a topic: tasks can be interconnected. Try to do without a simplified rating like/don´t like. The range and form of the text is unlimited.
How to submit works:
- Digital version of homework - portfolio will be uploaded by the applicant after submitting the electronic application and attachments in the period from December 6, 2022 from 12 p.m. untill December 9, 2022 by 8 a.m. via the website: https://ulozisko.vsvu.sk/; access data and instructions will be sent to the email addresses listed in the application no later than 12 p.m. on 6 December 2022. The portfolio and special assignement must be included in one joint PDF of 50 - 70 slides (maximum up to 10 MB altogether) titled as name_surname_study painting. Individual works must be marked: year, medium, measurements, title.
- Original version of the works-portfolio should be showcased in the second round of the admissions procedure.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- the first round is carried out by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- assessment of all portfolio components listed in homework requirements (portfolio)
- assesment of the special assignment
the second round is carried out in person and lasts for two days, the applicant passes to the second round from the first round
specific topics examining different aspects of creativity and artistic thinking
an interview with the applicant in front of the admissions committee, where he/she will demonstrate his/her knowledge of the field to which he/she is applying; a discussion about housework is part of the interview. Part of the interview is aimed at finding out an overall overview of the high school curriculum in history, literature, history of visual arts and orientation in contemporary art and socio-cultural overview. It is evaluated separately by two members of the commission designated for this part of the admission interviews from among internal and external teachers of the Department of Theory and History of Art. Applicants from abroad will be allowed to complete the interview in English, but in the case of successful acceptance, they will continue their studies in the Slovak language (minimum level B1 is required).
Tools required for entrance examination:
a drawing board in A1 size, pushpins, paper adhesive tape (white or yellow), glue, a cutter, pair of scissors, pencils of different hardness, charcoal sticks (natural or artificial), kneaded eraser, acrylic paints (obligatory), tempera paints, watercolour paints, brushes of different sizes, palette, water container.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20.storočie. Bratislava, 2000.
- orientation in periodical specialised press on contemporary art, architecture, applied arts and design, culture and politics