Requirements for entrance examination. Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools
Requirements for home assignments – portfolio
- The applicant presents himself/herself primarily via the originals of his/her own works and free creation in the medium of painting in the range from 20 to 30 works (any format and technique). The content of the applicant´s presented works and digital portfolio should not consist solely of study drawings and works created as secondary-art-school assignments. The applicant’s works should present his/her interest in the study programme of painting. Overlaps into other media are acceptable if they complement the applicant’s artistic thinking.
- A motivation letter, max. 1 standard page.
How to submit works:
- After submitting the electronic application with annexes, the applicant uploads the digital version of his/her portfolio in the period between December 7, 2021 (from 12 a.m.) and December 10, 2021 (to 8 a.m.) via: https://ulozisko.vsvu.sk/,
- Access details and instructions will be sent no later than December 7, 2021 (to 12 a.m.) by e-mail to the addresses stated in the application. The portfolio and motivation letter must be included in one joint PDF format (maximum up to 10 MB) titled as name_surname_study painting. Individual works must be marked: year, medium, measurements, title.
- The applicant should try to formulate his/her interest in the chosen study program, sources of inspiration and interests other than fine art in his/her motivation letter. Original version of the works-portfolio should be showcased in the second round of the admissions procedure.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- the first round is carried out by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- the evaluation of the applicant’s digital portfolio and motivation letter
the second round is carried out in person and lasts for two days, the applicant passes to the second round from the first round
specific topics examining different aspects of creativity and artistic thinking
test focused on measuring the general secondary-school knowledge of history, literature, fine art history and the knowledge of contemporary art. If requested, it is possible for the applicants from abroad to take the test in English language. However, if they are admitted to study at AFAD, the studies continue in Slovak language.
the interview before the admissions committee examines the applicant´s knowledge of the field he/she has applied to. The interview also includes a discussion about his/her portfolio.
Tools required for entrance examination:
a drawing board in A1 size, pushpins, paper adhesive tape (white or yellow), glue, a cutter, pair of scissors, pencils of different hardness, charcoal sticks (natural or artificial), kneaded eraser, acrylic paints (obligatory), tempera paints, watercolour paints, brushes of different sizes, palette, water container.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20.storočie. Bratislava, 2000.
- orientation in periodical specialised press on contemporary art, architecture, applied arts and design, culture and politics