Painting – Requirements for entrance examination
Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools
Requirements for home assignments – portfolio
- The applicant presents himself/herself primarily via the originals of his/her own works and free creation in the medium of painting. From 20 to 30 works (any format and technique). The content of the presented home assignments and digital portfolio of the applicant should not consist solely of student drawings and works created as secondary-art-school assignments. The applicant’s works should present his/her interest in the study programme of painting. Interdisciplinarity involving other media is possible if it complements the applicant’s artistic thinking.
- A motivation letter, max. 1 standard page.
Form of the submission of works:
- After submitting the electronic application with annexes, the applicant uploads the digital version of his/her home assignments – his/her portfolio, together with the motivation letter, between January 19, 2021 (6 AM) and January 25, 2020 (8 AM) via: https://obhajoby.vsvu.sk; access details and instructions will be sent by e-mail on January 18, 2021 to the addresses specified in the application.
- The digital portfolio and motivation letter must be included in one joint PDF format (maximum up to 10 MB) titled name_surname_study programme of painting. It is necessary to mark the individual works specifying the following information: year, technique, dimensions, (possibly) title.
- The applicant brings the original versions of his/her home assignments – his/her portfolio directly to the 2nd round of the admission procedure.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- the 1st round is carried out by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- the evaluation of the applicant’s digital portfolio and motivation letter
- the 2nd round is carried out in person and lasts two days, the applicant advances to the 2nd round from the 1st round
- specific topics examining different aspects of creativity and artistic thinking
- an exam focusing on the general secondary-school knowledge of history, literature, art history and the knowledge of contemporary art. If requested, it is possible for the applicants from abroad to take the exam in English language. However, if they are admitted to study at AFAD, their studies continue in Slovak language.
- the applicant undergoes an interview with the admission committee, where he/she demonstrates his/her knowledge in the field he/she wants to study; a discussion about home assignments is part of the interview.
Tools needed at the admission exam:
a drawing board in A1 size, pushpins, paper adhesive tape (white or yellow), glue, a cutter, a pair of scissors, pencils of different hardness, charcoal sticks (natural or artificial), kneaded eraser, acrylic paints (obligatory), tempera paints, watercolour paints, brushes of different sizes, a palette, a water container.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20.storočie. Bratislava, 2000.
- orientation in periodical specialised press on contemporary art, architecture, applied arts and design, culture and politics