Digital arts – Requirements for entrance examination
Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools
Requirements for home assignments – portfolio
The applicant submits assignments in 3 sections:
- A – Home assignment on a given topic. Attach a textual description of your solution and motivation to your completed assignment work.
- B – Video
- C – Portfolio (approx. 10 works)
A – Home assignment:
This topic offers various possibilities of interpretation and approach. Net is a material, net is a mechanical instrument, net is a term in information science, society, urbanism, transport. Net is a symbol of connection but also a hunting tool. Nets are created by people, animals, rivers...
You can choose from different forms of approach, pick one and work on it according to the specified extent:
- Architectural design
Design in the form of sketches and/or a model (digital or physical)
- Intervention into public space
Design in the form of sketches or a model (digital or physical). If it is an already realized activity, the applicant submits also its documentation (photo, video).
- Digital photo collage
A picture, pictures or a video.
- Virtual or augmented reality
Textual presentation of the application’s functionality, sketches of the visual identity. The real implementation in the form of an executable application is possible.
- Social experiment in digital space
The applicant submits a proposal of the course of his/her experiment, a description of actors. If it is an already realized activity, the applicant submits also its documentation (video, recording, screenshots…).
Video file with a duration of maximum 10 minutes.
Static pictures and/or powerpoint presentation and/or interactive online visualization
- Interactive installation in space
Design elaborated in the form of sketches or a 3D model (digital or physical) and functionality design of the installation and its interaction with the visitor.
B – Video
Nakrúťte krátke video o sebe a o svojej motivácii študovať digitálne umenia. Maximum 3 minutes. The video itself will not be evaluated, its primary purpose is to introduce yourself to us.
C – Portfolio
Submit also a selection of your works (approx. 10 works). Suitable fields of creation are: drawing and painting (also digital forms), photography, video, animation, 3D modelling, infographics and data visualization, architecture, graphic design, web design, computer applications and games, user interfaces, performance, installation, social activism, online marketing. These works can also be presented as proposals for projects.
Technical requirements concerning formats:
- Pictures, photographs, graphic design: JPEG or PDF format.
- Video: MP4 format, maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- Digital 3D models: OBJ, 3DS, FBX formats and add several rendered pictures in JPEG format.
- Physical 3D models: photo documentation in JPEG format
- Computer programs and applications: Executable files for the Windows or Mac platform, packed in a ZIP file.
- Web pages and online applications: Textual document containing a link to an online location. Or screenshots with a textual description in PDF format.
Form of the submission of works:
- After submitting the electronic application with annexes, the applicant uploads files from all three sections (home assignment, video and portfolio), between January 19, 2021 (6 AM) and January 25, 2021 (8 AM) via: https://obhajoby.vsvu.sk; access details and instructions will be sent on January 18, 2021 by e-mail to the addresses specified in the application.
- The applicant uploads all files in required formats titled name_surname_study programme of digital arts. It is necessary to mark the individual works.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- the evaluation of home assignments, video, portfolio
- in person, with the participation of the applicant who advances to the 2nd round from the 1st round. The 2nd round of the admission procedure lasts two days.
- working on creative assignments specified by the committee. For example, a drawing representation of a given story, ideas behind functionality design and graphic design of a mobile application’s user interface, a logo design or a campaign on a given topic...
- an exam focusing on the general secondary-school knowledge of history, literature, art history and the knowledge of contemporary art. If requested, it is possible for the applicants from abroad to take the exam in English language. However, if they are admitted to study at AFAD, their studies continue in Slovak language.
- the applicant undergoes an interview with the admission committee, where he/she demonstrates his/her knowledge in the field he/she wants to study; a discussion about home assignments is part of the interview. We ask the applicants about their interests outside of school, talk about their favourite books, films and video games. We are interested in what has caught the applicant’s attention in arts, culture or social events, or which authors he/she finds inspiring and why.
Tools needed at the admission exam:
writing and drawing tools
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20.storočie. Bratislava, 2000
- František Novosád: V zrkadle kultúry. Iris 2016.
- Nicholas Mirzoeff: Jak vidět svět. Artmap 2019.
- Gibson, W. : Neuromancer
- Liou Cch’-sin: Problém tří těles