Architecture – Requirements for entrance examination
Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools
Requirements for home assignments – portfolio
1/2 of the applicant’s portfolio presents a wide variety of artistic skills anad interests
- For example: still lifes, outdoor spaces, bust, painting, photography, sculpture, design, graphics.....
- Properly marked authorship and whether the applicant’s work was done under pedagogical supervision (artistic course, preparatory course, high school and other...) or it is a result of the applicant’s individual work
1/2 of the applicant’s portfolio presents specific assignments documenting his/her intense interest in architecture
- drawings and sketches from life – interior, exterior, object
- analytical drawings revealing thinking about structure, construction, textures, materiality, compositionality, formal procedures and transformations
- designs of simple architecture, architectural objects, constructions or structures represented in sketches, drawings, technical drawings (floor plans, cross sections, perspectives), spatial representations (perspective, axonometry...), physical models (photo documentation of the result and construction methods), digital 3D models (photo documentation of modelling stages, visualization, defining parametric relationships)
- Who is the applicant and why he/she has applied for the study of architecture at AFAD and what are his/her expectations of this kind of school.
- The motivation letter introduces the applicant’s intense interest in architecture in a creative way.
Form of the submission of works:
- After submitting the electronic application with annexes, the applicant uploads the digital version of his/her home assignments – his/her portfolio, together with the motivation letter, between January 19, 2021 (6 AM) and January 25, 2021 (8 AM) via: https://obhajoby.vsvu.sk; access details and instructions will be sent on January 18, 2021 by e-mail to the addresses specified in the application.
- The digital portfolio and motivation letter must be included in one joint PDF format (maximum up to 10 MB) titled name_surname_study programme of architecture. It is necessary to mark the individual works – topic, title.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- the evaluation of the digital portfolio and motivation letter
In person, with the participation of the applicant who advances to the 2nd round from the 1st round. The 2nd round of the admission procedure lasts two days.
The assignments can have the nature of designing simple architectural, structural, spatial objects, complexly dealt with at diferent levels of representation.
- Problem analysis / text, essay, sketches, drawing...
- Concept /text, sketches, drawings...
- Physical model ...
- Technical drawings...
- Spatial representation...
Or they can have the nature of several shorter assignments which focus on examining the applicant’s abilities, skills and swiftness individually.
- Drawing of architectural space from life or speculative, analytical drawing
- Modelling of spatial structures
- Graphic assignments
- Conceptual assignments
- Spatial interpretation of text, graphics or painting
Completed assignments are submitted physically – drawings on hard paper and spatial models.
- an exam focusing on the general secondary-school knowledge of history, literature, art history and the knowledge of contemporary art. If requested, it is possible for the applicants from abroad to take the exam in English language. However, if they are admitted to study at AFAD, their studies continue in Slovak language.
- the applicant undergoes an interview with the admission committee, where he/she demonstrates his/her knowledge in the field he/she wants to study; a discussion about home assignments is part of the interview.
Tools needed at the admission exam:
a drawing board in A2 size, drawing tools (pencils, a charcoal stick, red chalk and other), modelling tools – a cutter, a pair of scissors, glue, a triangle/ruler
Note: material for graphic and spatial assignments—paper, cardboard and other—will be given to the applicants at the admission examination
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Frampton, K.: Moderní architektúra. Praha: Academia, 2004.
- Gossel, P., Leuthauserova, G.: Architektura 20.století. Taschen, 2003.
- Haas, F.: Architektúra 20.století. Praha: SPN, 1985.
- Hollingsworth, M.: Architektura 20.století. Bratislava: Columbus, 1993.
- Kusý, M.: Architektúra na Slovensku 1918 – 1945. Bratislava: Pallas, 1971.
- Kusý, M.: Architektúra na Slovensku 1945 – 1975. Bratislava: Pallas, 1976.
- Moravčíková, H., Dulla, M.: Architektúra na Slovensku v 20.stor. Bratislava: Slovart, 2003.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20. storočie. Bratislava, 2000.
- Tichá, J. (Ed.): Architektura v informačním věku. Zlatý řez, 2006.
- Tichá, J. (Ed.): Architektura na prahu informačního věku. Zlatý řez, 2001.
- Koolhaas, R.: Třeštící New York. Praha: Arbor Vitae, 2007.
- Ročenka slovenskej architektúry 2014/2015, 2016/2017, 2017/2018. Slovart.
- Mitášová M., Ševčík J., Česká a slovenská architektura 1971 – 2011, Akademie výtvarných umění, 2013
- Švácha R., Tichá J., Sršňová M., Euroamerické architektonické myšlení 1936-2011, Zlatý řez, 2019
Architekt (CZ), ERA21 (CZ), Arch, Architektúra a Urbanizmus, Projekt, príp. AD (UK), Domus (IT)
archinfo, dezeen, divisare, afasia