Applied arts (specialization – ceramics, glass, jewel)
Requirements for entrance examination. Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools. The requirements are current for the admission procedure at Academic year 2023/2024.
No training in the given field or specialized practice before studies are required to apply for the program. Study specializations are open to the applicants’ ambitions.
Requirements for portfolio
- classic, academic assignments, still lives, portrait, details of human body, drawings of nature, natural specimens and etc.
- drawing of a portrait from a live model – 5 pieces
- still lives – 3 pieces
- landscape, natural specimen... – 3 pieces
- drawings of a hand, body parts... – 3 pieces
- coloured drawing studies from life, the applicant can choose a technique – 2 pieces
- coloured drawing studies of a still life, the applicant can choose a technique – 2 pieces
- If the applicant has a hands-on experience with modelling, he/she submits the photo documentation of this activity: a modelled portrait from a live model or bust or others.
Home and school assignments:
- Home and school assignments according to the applicant’s choice are part of his/her portfolio: drawings, paintings, photographs and models, various school and home assignments, personal projects, designs of objects, small or big ones, in the fields the applicant has applied to, in other words, designs related to the following specialties – ceramics or glass or jewel.
CV and Motivation letter of the applicant
- must be attached to the portfolio
The applicant reacts to a topic in the form of a proposal for / in the medium of the specialization for which he is applying.
- MILK OF DREAMS. The work should be an expression, a materialization of personal ideas and associations evoked by the term MILK OF DREAMS.
Develop a proposal for the ceramic medium.
Develop a proposal for the glass medium.
- METAL AND JEWEL
Interpret the theme by creating a piece of jewelry; work can be in any material.
How to submit works:
- Access details and instructions will be sent no later than December 6, 2022 (to 12 a.m.) by e-mail to the addresses stated in the application.
- The digital portfolio, CV and motivation letter must be included in one joint PDF format (maximum up to 10 MB) titled as name_surname_study programme applied arts. Individual works must be marked.
- The applicant brings the original versions of his/her portfolio directly to the second round of the admissions procedure, including the obligatory assignment completed in accordance with the instructions.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- assessment of all portfolio components listed in homework requirements (portfolio)
- evaluation of the mandatory assignment
- in person, with the participation of the applicant who passes to the second round from the first round. The second round of the admissions procedure lasts for two days.
Further details of creative assignments – Ceramics
- relief – object – creation on a given topic
- painting – structure, texture on a given topic
- ceramic object, utility object
Further details of creative assignments – Glass
- Previous experience with working with glass is not a condition for the admission to study the specialty of Glass.
- The applicants will be given four topics (assignments), ranging from applied artworks to creative artworks, which will examine the applicant’s artistic thinking and skills.
Further details of creative assignments – Jewel
- creation on given topics—related to dimensions of the Studio S+M+L_XL—METAL AND JEWEL which form the essence of the study of the given specialty.
Tools needed at the admission exam:
drawing board in A2 size, pencils, charcoal sticks, ruddle sticks, brushes, tempera and watercolour paints, poster paints, acrylic paints, spatulas for modelling, pair of scissors, string, water containers, drawing compass, glue, adhesive tape, rulers, loop tool, card scraper, cutter
drawing board in A2 size, pencil, charcoal stick, eraser, watercolour paints, pair of scissors, cutter, hard paper sheets of different colours, glue, adhesive tape, rulers, spatulas for modelling, etc.
drawing board in A2 size, crayons, pair of scissors, cutter, small pincers, pliers, fast drying universal glue, adhesive tape, rulers.
- Rada, Pravoslav: Techniky keramiky. Praha, 1989.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20.storočie. Bratislava, 2000.
- General knowledge of specialised periodicals on contemporary art, architecture, applied arts and design, culture and politics; and a contemporary scene of designers of art jewellery, ceramics, glass and designers.
Keramik, Ceramics Art, Neue Keramik
Recommended web pages