Requirements for entrance examination. Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools
Requirements for portfolio
The applicant creates and submits a portfolio of his/her own works. The applicant’s portfolio should cover the media range of studies at the study programme of Visual Communication. It should, for example, contain: logotypes, visual identities, typography, posters, animation (submit only a link—a functional URL link—where the animation is available online: YouTube, Vimeo...), if it is not public, the password necessary to play the animation should be provided, packaging design, spatial applications (graphic design applied to space), graphic design of books, magazines and other printed press, the applicant’s own original projects, photo documentation of drawings such as portraits, still lives... (maximum 3 pages).
Portfolio should contain also these four obligatory assignments:
- The visual identity of a place where I spend my Friday nights
Shop window. The applicant should fine a particular shop window in the place he/she lives in and drafts a new design of the shop window. The result might have a form of a drawing, collage, visualization or a model. The three-dimensional content behind the glass panel should be considered not the glass decoration.
- Design of the lettering (thorough study and understanding of this term in writing practice is required) for a hoodie with the name of the street of your high school.
- Video application of maximum 60 secs in which the applicant will introduce himself/herself. The video application must be uploaded on YouTube or Vimeo and the link—a functional URL link to it must be inserted to the applicant´s portfolio. If the video is not public, the password necessary to play it should be provided too.
The parameters of the applicant’s electronic portfolio:
- A4 format in the width orientation
- A maximum extent of 30 pages
- Format .pdf, max. 20 MB (in resolution medium, screen or interactive)
How to submit works:
- After submitting the electronic application with annexes, the applicant uploads the digital version of his/her portfolio, together with his/her CV and motivation letter, in the period between December 7, 2021 (from 12 a.m.) and December 10, 2021 (to 8 a.m.) via: https://ulozisko.vsvu.sk/,
- Access details and instructions will be sent no later than December 7, 2021 (to 12 a.m.) by e-mail to the addresses stated in the application. The digital portfolio must be included in one joint PDF format (maximum up to 20 MB) titled as name_surname_study programme visual communication. Individual works must be marked.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- the evaluation of portfolio
- in person, with the participation of the applicant who passes to the second round from the first round. The second round of the admission procedure lasts for two days.
- creative assignments at talent examinations can consist of the following media: portrait (drawing), logo, pictogram, poster, postage stamp, postcard, T-shirt, advertising item, comics/storytelling, typography, three-dimensional object and other. The given assignments are realized without the use of computer and other digital technologies.
- test focused on measuring the general secondary-school knowledge of history, literature, art history and the knowledge of contemporary art. If requested, it is possible for the applicants from abroad to take the test in English language. However, if they are admitted to study at AFAD, their studies continue in Slovak language.
- the interview before the admissions committee examines the applicant´s general knowledge in the field of culture, aesthetics, social events and current development in graphic design and fine arts.
Tools needed at the admission exam:
The applicant brings his/her favourite working tools and instruments, such as a drawing board in A2 size (it is obligatory for portrait drawing), rulers, stencils, pencils, charcoal sticks, pastels, ink, markers, paints and brushes, colour spray paints, material for stencils, paper sheets of different colours, surfaces and weights, self-adhesive foils of different colours, pair of scissors, cutters, glue, adhesive tapes and other tools according to one’s own choice.
- Art History.
- The History of Applied Arts and Design.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20.storočie. Bratislava, 2000.
- Kolesár, Z.: Nové kapitoly z dejín dizajnu, Slovenské centrum dizajnu, Bratislava, 2009
- LONGAUER, Ľubomír: Modernosť tradície – Úžitková grafika na Slovensku po roku 1918. Slovart.
- LONGAUER, Ľubomír, a kol.: Typografia a písmo na Slovensku. Začalo to Cyrilom a Metodom.
Books about design, architecture and fine arts from the following publishers
Phaidon, Taschen, Gestalten, Princetown Architectural Press, Laurence King Publishing, Slovart, Roto Vision
Specialised and popular magazines (also archive numbers)
Designum, Typo, Font, Eye, Works that work, Dot Dot Dot, 2+3D, Print, Novum
Trnava Poster Triennial, Design week Bratislava, The Biennial of Graphic Design Brno, The Venice Biennale of Architecture and Art
www.vsvu.sk, www.scd.sk, https://edesignum.scd.sk, www.designby.sk, www.detepe.sk, www.designportal.cz, www.font.cz, www.designobserver.com ...
Orientation in periodical specialised press on contemporary art, architecture, applied arts and design, culture and politics