Requirements for entrance examination. Home assignments, further details of individual tasks, necessary tools
Requirements for portfolio
- the applicant submits 20 works
- a selection of the applicant’s paintings and drawings, textile designs, studies from life, collages, freeform art works; these works should showcase the applicant’s drawing skills, his/her sense of painting, relationship to material and the sense of spatial perception of movement studies, studies from a live model
- apparel designs and collections of clothing in drawing, painting, collage or other mixed media
- textile designs for apparel
- obligatory assignment: INTERSECTION OF TWO WORLDS (good and evil /soft and hard/love and hate/...
- dimensions: approx. 30 x 30 x 30 cm,
- material: all types of paper,
- technique: different kinds of connecting, sewing, clicking together, adhesive tape, paper clips, collage...
- photo documentation of the working process and final object, description of the idea and intention must be attached.
How to submit works:
- Access details and instructions will be sent no later than December 7, 2021 (to 12 a.m.) by e-mail to the addresses stated in the application. The portfolio, obligatory assignment must be included in one joint PDF format (maximum up to 10 MB) titled as name_surname_study programme textiles. Individual works must be marked by their topic, title.
- The applicant brings the original versions of his/her portfolio directly to the second round of the admissions procedure, including the obligatory assignment completed according to the given instructions. The applicant’s works should be documented in presentation portfolios.
Further details of individual tasks during the admission procedure:
- by the distance method, without the applicant’s physical presence
- the evaluation of the digital portfolio and obligatory assignments
- in person, with the participation of the applicant who advances to the second round from the 1st round. The second round of the admissions procedure lasts for two days.
- designs of textile pattern in colour
- closed format composition
- three-dimensional object
- paper relief
- test focused on measuring the general secondary-school knowledge of history, literature, fine art history and the knowledge of contemporary art. If requested, it is possible for the applicants from abroad to take the test in English language. However, if they are admitted to study at AFAD, the studies continue in Slovak language.
- the interview before the admissions committee examines the applicant´s knowledge of the field he/she has applied to. The interview also includes a discussion about his/her portfolio). The applicant explains the procedure in the actual assignment, on which he/she works in the second round, so that the committee can examine his/her communication skills.
Tools needed at the admission exam:
drawing board in A2 size, drawing tools, pencils, erasers, charcoal sticks, tempera paints, pastels, watercolour paints, crayons, glue, ruler, pair of scissors, any material (paper sheets of different colours, textile or paper material – different types of paper for collages), pushpins, cutter, paper clips, stapler, needle, thread, pins, adhesive tape, etc.
- Art History.
- The History of Applied Arts and Design.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 1 – 10. Bratislava, 1982 – 1986.
- Pijoan, J.: Dejiny umenia 11 – 12. Bratislava, 2002.
- Gombrich, H. E.: Príbeh umenia. Bratislava, 2000.
- Rusinová, Z. (ed.): Dejiny slovenského výtvarného umenia – 20.storočie. Bratislava, 2000.
- Luxová, Viera: Československá tapiséria 1945-75, Bratislava, 1978.
- Móziová, Oľga, Bohatová, Anna: Dejiny odievania. Bratislava, 2007.
- Máchalová, Jana: Móda 20. století. Praha, 2003.
www.interiorzine.com, www.doba.sk/category/umenie, www.transitionandinfluenceccom.
Orientation in periodical specialised press on contemporary art, architecture, applied arts and design, culture and politics.