This project was created by members of the Department of Architecture Petr Hájek, Vít Halada, Ján Studený and Benjamín Brádňanský together with Marián Zervan from the Department of Theory and History of Art. The project was developed in cooperation with Monika Mitášová, architecture theoretician and exhibition commissioner for the Slovak National Gallery (SNG).
Venice Architecture Biennale 2016 is open until November 27, 2016.
The winning project was selected in January by a 7-member international jury led by Adam Gebrian (CZ). Quoting from its verdict: “…in our opinion, this is one of the few buildings from recent history in Slovakia, which has the potential to attract interest of a wider international audience. It is not only thanks to the large-scale model (1:17,78) presentation of the building itself, but to the presentation of the entire process: starting with contemplations about its creation, through preparations, various stages of the project, its actual execution, usage of the building, to its consequent dilapidation, discussion on closing the building and possible demolition, all the way to competition proposals for its reconstruction by various Slovak architects. The battle for this building represents an intersection of various front lines, both from the area of architecture and other fields.
Guest artists also exhibiting at the pavilion: Daša Barteková, Anna Daučíková, Jana Durajová, Hertha Hurnaus, Lena Kušnieriková, Kateřina Koňata Dolejšová, Stano Masár.
La Biennale di Venezia is one of the oldest fine arts and architecture exhibitions. Today considered as one of the most prestigious events at the international fine arts scene, the biennale was established in 1895. The specialised Biennale of Architecture has been its part since 1980. The show includes an international exhibition in the pavilion of Italy, expositions in the national pavilions, as well as accompanying events. Located in the centre of the compound, the former pavilion of Czechoslovakia (today pavilion of Czech Republic and Slovakia) is one of the oldest (1926). The two countries take turns in organising their respective exhibitions. Czech and Slovak national galleries were tasked with preparing the representation in Venice.