We are witnessing significant political changes on the world map. Crises affecting the global economy cause turbulences in a social space. Mass movement of labour forces disturb our stereotypes of behavior and change our cultural situation. Capital distribution, migration of labour forces and technological progress are the engine for generating different types of conflicts. The need to re-define our attitudes and relationships within the social and political space is a challenge for the contemporary art. The Studio of Spatial Communication+ does not remain aside; it operates directly in the centre of these movements.
One of the basic requests of the educational process in the Studio is participation – penetration into the stream of changes with the objective to maintain critical attitude in individual reflections of the students, but also via common practice to bring reports about these events.
In order to achieve the desired results we use the following methods and tools:
- following the current events
- making themes of various fields of social space with the focus on specific places of urban or natural character
- making summary of issues trying to gather information, existing artistic reflections, name relating contexts
- conducting a collective dialogue on the topic in the form of roundtable
- scan funding possibilities for artistic research, which often takes place outside the Studio in a form of workshop at a specific location
- visiting the exhibitions relating to a given issue
- inviting experts from the real life for a given topic
- distributing the results of work to exhibitions, presentations etc.
- individual consulting throughout entire creative process.
Space of art has expanded to the extent that it lacks precise rules, however, it does not mean, that we do not work with a certain types of structures – Language of Arts - which contain the rules in basic units. Diversity of sorts provides us with a wide range of options to probe with a specific targeting on emotional and intellectual apparatus of the recipient. This requires working with several media simultaneously, and therefore it is necessary to know not only their development, expressive potential, but also a way, how to make a correct “mix” due to process efficiency or artifact itself. Through the chaining, which is based on individual media with their own languages, we create simple or more complicated units.
- with objects: from raw materials to complex objects
- with a mode of action, mainly with performances, happenings and other forms of participatory
- with video, either as a recording medium, or working with the image of “reality” that immerses into it its view.
The works can act independently as a solo works of one medium (object, action, video, animation, etc..), or media mutually cooperate and can be a component of spatial, interactive, multimedia installations. This often depends on each student, which means suit to his or her nature and orientation and what is optimal to use for a given artistic statement.
Study programme Intermedia and Multimedia has a certain amount of subjects for education and improvement of skills which are fully utilized in APK+ studio (interactive objects and environments, work with camera, video editing, sound composition, etc.).
The students of bachelor programme are required to be able to work with computer, cope with camera work and editing, be able to work with natural materials, have an overview in contemporary art, ability to work independently on their own profile programme, communicate in the full range of production of the artwork starting with initial footnotes through implementation of artwork to the exhibits in gallery.
In addition, the students of master programme are required to have organizational skills when arranging their own exhibitions or workshops and to deliver own opinions in the field of art.
Doc. Anton Čierny